<VV> Powerglide Transmission Shifting Issues

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 26 11:06:51 EST 2012

Mike, I don't agree. You do need the tool for this VERY IMPORTANT adjustment. In fact, this adjustment is so important it can destroy parts (clutches) inside the transmission as hydraulic pressure is being applied at the wrong time and the wrong place. I know this for a fact. And this tool can be purchased very inexpensively from the vendors.
True story: I replaced the shifter cable because mine was broken (little ball came off). A month later, I had no reverse. I replaced the trans with a known good unit. A month later I had no reverse again. Upon disassembly of both units, I found the 3 reverse clutches broken into pieces. I attribute this to an incorrectly adjusted manual valve.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado 81301