<VV> Non-Corvair "vehicular homicide"

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Mon Jan 30 03:23:26 EST 2012

Yeah, well, NAPA is the place I went (by phone from where my non-Corvair
broke down, 30 miles from home).
The NAPA store manager, George Ruiz, recommended a "competent" mechanic
where I had my car towed.

Long story short, he rebuilt my engine, charged me for $1,800 worth of "new"
parts, sewed it all up before I could witness the shiny new parts either
before installation or installed, and not too long before the engine blew
up, and he admitted (!!) to the Auto Repair Bureau investigator, that "No, I
did not use the new parts that I put on the receipt I gave Mr. Lee." By the
way, he also turned out to be unlicensed, and is now the manager of a shop,
where he does not need a license.

The local judge has stated to me, in court previously, that I "should be
careful of what I say because I have friends and family in the auto repair
business" ~ all mechanics in this town know her, or are related to her.

Other than that, the case should be a slam dunk, right?

I have waited until the far end of the statute of limitations to take it to
court, to ensure that he is firmly established as the manager of a local
shop, so that he has (1) and income to pay me, and (2) a "reputation" he
will need to protect, since the only thing the BAR holds against any
mechanic is not paying his judgments against him.  If he pays up, the BAR
will not say anything about him, regardless of how evil his actions were.

Did I mention that my other prior woes were the result of a recommendation
by a friend who was the manager of the AAMCO repair shop?

I'm still searching for an honest mechanic, albeit unsuccessfully.

Oh wait, one mechanic was honest enough to estimate a repair at twice anyone
else's estimate, on the grounds that he won't "nickel and dime me after a
lowball estimate."

"Oh, so you'll come down to the actual cost when you're done?  That's very
ethical of you!"

"Oh no. You'll pay the full amount, unless it's more."

Um, OK, thanks ...

I get so many stories from these guys, it's (almost) worth denigrating
humanity with their existence.

I call it "vehicular homicide"

OK, I'm done, until I trust another one, and get yet another story out of
it?

Charlie