<VV> The storm!

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Mon Jul 2 16:26:58 EDT 2012

As of 3:00 PM today Corvair Alley is back up and running.

As with many other folks around here we were hit with a bad storm Friday evening. All power was knocked out over several states. They are still working to get it all fixed. May be Friday before everyone gets back on. We spent two nights camped out in the basement sleeping on an air mattress because it was the coolest place in the house. Of course the fact the Corvair race car was several feet away made it way cooler!

The daytime temps were hovering around the century mark with humidity high. We haven't had any rain of a good amount for months around here either. The storm produced some rain but mostly the hardest winds I have ever seen. That may be because I was at our local car club cruise in doing my DJ thing.
We tried to save my Quick Shade awning but, it was ripped out of our hands destroyed. We got all the sound gear safely in the bed of my truck but, a lot of door prizes took flight and we never saw them again. Somewhere around here there are two dozen yellow flying Jegs hats!

The fierce winds picked up the grit from the Kmart parking lot next to us and sand blasted everything. No real damage to my truck or trailer but, I noticed the next day that the pockets of my shorts were full of sand! Yeah, I had sand in my shorts! I just had to grit and bare it ! GGG!

The main roads were blocked with fallen trees and other items so I had to pick my way home on the back roads.
There was also a corner vendor of fireworks beside of us at the cruise in. These folks show up all over the place around here just before the 4th. He had a really big tent and a lot of stock to sell. The wind picked it up and moved it just off his displays enough to let the rain soak all the fireworks. I guess you could say his sales fizzled...

No one in our group was hurt. The damage to our house was one shutter blown off and another one loosened. I fixed that today.
We had power enough from my portable generator to keep the fridge running along with the microwave, our coffee maker and a box fan.
The internet, phone and TV (all the same line) just came online this afternoon. The electric power came on last night around 9:45.

I just knew you all were waiting with baited breath to here from us!

The Lone Haranguer is hale and hardy also!

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com