<VV> Specs on Quaker State "Defy" Motor Oil

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:24:45 EDT 2012

According to Richard Widman's oil articles, we need 1200-1400 ppm zinc
and 1000-1200 ppm phosphorus to match a good CI-4 oil. This comes very
close to those numbers and with the addition of a small amount of moly
and being a semi synthetic, probably is OK. Richard also states that
the Corvair engine was designed for oil viscosity of 9.3 to 12.5 cSt
and this oil is at the high end at 11.7. So for a in service broke in
engine it should work just fine, according to the published numbers.
Has anyone found a datasheet from the manufacturer on the oil? I
presume at the lower price we really have a higher refined Dino
product, as Richard discusses, which was better than I used back in the
60's where I ran a engine 220k miles on the same crank and cylinders.
The cam gear broke at 120k miles so new cam and lifters then, but I
never changed valves, guides, crank, pushrods, pistons rockers, et,
just honed the cylinders once, and new cast rings, and it did just fine
on the Dino oil (Havoline 10w40 most of its life). Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone