<VV> NOS Quick Steering: Value?

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Fri Jul 13 20:28:05 EDT 2012

Bob:
> NOS, yes, new-old-stock factory Quick Steering box ('66 design) with NOS
> factory Quick Steering Arms.
>
> In my 38 years in the Corvair hobby I have never seen an NOS Quick
> Steering box and only one pair of NOS Quick Steering arms previously.
>
> <snip>
>
> Being sold as a set, only.  What do you think they should go for?
I'm only about 28 years in this hobby (as an owner, maybe 40 as a
dreamer...) and, like you, I have never seen an NOS quick steering box/arms.

In thinking through what they're worth, it seems pretty clear they'd
need to go on a high-end '66 that was being restored from the ground
up.  Something like the magnificent turbo convertibles done by Kent
Sullivan or that gentlemen from Kansas whose wife wrote about his red
'66 turbo drop top in two articles in the Communique over the last 1-2
years (or even Jay Leno).  Those are the only cars that could provide a
proper foundation (and return) for such rare components.

Over the past 11 years, I have collected most of the rare options for my
'66 Corsa (e.g., telescoping column, quick steering box, quick arms,
factory headrest seats, etc.).  Having seen several factory quick
steering boxes go in the $500-600 range (some with asking prices closer
to $900) and a few sets of factory quick arms also go in the $400-600
range, I think you'd be entirely justified in starting your asking price
for both pieces together at $2,000. What people offer and what you would
accept would of course remain to be seen, but I say this because they
are *new* old stock, not just "really good used".  If they're going to
end up on a $25,000+ Barrett-Jackson special, such a price would be
consistent with the overall package.

Now, in this economy, and given how infrequently guys like Kent do such
a nice thorough resto job, you may sit on them for a while. But still.
They would be worth quite a bit for someone doing a top-flight 98+ point
restoration like that.

Three final thoughts/questions:

  1) It would be great if you could attach a picture so we could all see.

  2) Where did you find them?

  3) It should go without saying that while I think you should start
with an asking price of $2,000, my opinion is worth precisely $0.02.

Steven "it's difficult to type while salivating" Serenska

'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4, factory A/C, AM/FM
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4, factory A/C, headrest seats, quick steering box,
quick arms, telescoping column,  wood wheel (the final 4 items currently
uninstalled)