<VV> green oil

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Jul 16 20:26:58 EDT 2012

At 05:46 PM 7/14/2012, you wrote:
>Brad Penn is the same as the old Kendall oil and it is green. It id made in
>the same refinery.

They also specifically state that it is made from PA *grade* crude
although the base oil is not from PA.  It does however have the high
paraffin content.  The green tint is from the additives that Kendall
(now BradPenn) added to improve scuff resistance.  Their website has
lots of details.

The current Kendall GT1 oil (if indeed they still make it) is nothing
like their old formula and is in fact nothing special.   The "green
oil" is IMHO about the best street performance oil out there for
older design performance engines.  Synthetics may have their tricks
but the green stuff has a tried and true reputation.   I used it
exclusively in a heavily tweaked 426 in my old Plymouth Satellite,
ran the mortal hell out of it and buzzed it past 7200 rpm more than
once (to valve float)and I never scuffed a bearing or galled a
piston/cylinder or ate up a cam lobe/rocker/lifter.  The stuff just worked.

I remember how it cost about a buck for a quart... which was a bit
expensive compared to the budget based motor oils at the time.  Sure
wish it was that price today.

tony..