<VV> Another good oil article by a Porsche guy focused for air cooled engines

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 18:18:57 EDT 2012

Hi all, hope those of you there are enjoying Sturbridge!  This url will
take you to a good article focused on oil needs for older engines, and
specifically for older air cooled porsche's. It mentions the use of Boron
as a wear lube, and talks a little bit about the other additive packages
and how they work in the engines.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
I think we have seen that any one article does not provide all the
information on oils that a informed flat tappet owner may need to make a
good oil decision, its important to extract the good information out of
each. One person sought to discount the wear testing of new oils article I
submitted, casting doubt on the validity of the test basis, saying there is
no way to know how they do once used. If you remember, Quaker State Defy
was the subject of the day. If you go to the QS web page, they plainly
state their oils are oil sampled and tested for three industry tests after
the oil is removed from service at a normal manucfacturer recommended drain
interval, and the oils in question still meet new oil standards at the end
of their service life. While I am sure no oil deteriorates the same as
another due to base stock and additive differences, it would be consistent
to say that the better oils, using better base stock, would provide longer
protection for our engines.  Enjoy this article, too. Mark Durham