<VV> Convention Autocross results - impressions

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 18:29:31 EDT 2012

Sorry for the delay in feeding the autocross results. My primary mission at
 Sturbridge has been keeping my wife happy, secondary, manning the Silicone
 Wire Systems booth, and tertiary, chasing down the final autocross
results.  Dave Clemons did, indeed, take the FTD. There were three other cars in h
is  class, Norm Latullippe was a second+ back, driving Bob Peplow's car, Bob
was third, John Egerton fourth. Dave really wowed the field, a very
impressive  win. The fastest V8 car, in Street Mod-2, was Dave Button, in a nice
street Crown car. Kevin Wilsons Corvair powered Street Mod-3 car bracketed
the V8 car, with Michael Leveque a tenth of a second ahead, and Kevin
slightly  behind. Michael's third run of the day included the most impressive
"slide" of  the day, in the turn three/four oval. It never did come  completely
around, but it didn't back into the outside wall either! All four  tires were
smoking, though!  The video is already on YouTube! That is  Michael at the
wheel, not Kevin. Kevin was shooting the video, heart rate  climbing! In the
Stock classes, Mark Aksamit, from Arizona, was the  class of the field. He
has past racing experience and knows which car to borrow  <grin>! He was two
seconds ahead of any other stock class car,  running in SS-3 and in a 110
PG car! None of the 140 4-speeds came  close! Larry Tustison took SS-1, Roger
Ringerstetter had to beat two  Seversons to take SS-2.  Philip Levering
took SS-4 in his convertible, Phil  Raker won SS-5 in his Greenbrier.
Improved Stock was all over the map. IS-3, usually the largest class at the
 convention, didn't disappoint with eleven entries. Mark Edmonds won the
class  with a 39 second run with his 140, but Brett Aston with his 110 turned
a 38  second run in IS-2! Just behind him was his brother(?) Bryce in the
same  car. Notably in the IS3 class, Ryan MacLeod beat his father Stewart, a
changing  of the guard! Allison Stewart took the ladies class  IS-3L. Larry
Claypool thrashed the family Truckster (Greenbrier) to an IS-4 title.  Barb
Mee has the IS-4L title.  The fastest Improved Stock car belongs  to Terry
Stafford and it is an early model! Terry's 64 Turbo is a  longtime Lime Rock
competitor, and is tightly tied down. He lent it to me to  drive, however,
and I took a couple of seconds off his time in IS-5.  Terry's early model
was easy to drive, a good thing since I hadn't competed in  an early model
since 1982! His turbo motor was really dialed in and was fun and  rewarding to
drive! For reference, however, Removable steering wheels  should always be
checked for full installation tightness before getting out on  course. Please
just take my word for it!! And don't ask! As I sit, writing this,  it is
pouring rain outside. It started at the end of the car display on Saturday
evening. Except for the humidity and a "warmish" outside temps, weather was
not  a factor at the convention. And the weather gods actually smiled deeply
on the  Autocross competitors. The Autocross day was absolutely perfect.
Sunny, warm and  RAINFREE! The Stafford Speedway was a challenge for both power
and handling, and  you could vision yourself driving the oval track in a
fast car with the safety  needed for the Corvair Convention competitor, some of
which are novices at this  racing thing.  Next year, at Western
Michigan/Kalamazoo, look for even more  racing as the Convention moves to a hot-bed of
racing. If you  didn't make it to Sturbridge, you should have!

Seth Emerson