<VV> Organization of Corvair Parts

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Jun 6 09:59:37 EDT 2012

Seth, I have toooo many Corvair parts, new and used, and so years ago I
needed a method to organize them.  The first thing I did was segregate
them, used parts in the garage, new/NOS in the basement.  This worked
for a little while, but the problem was that I was putting things on
shelves by how they fit the shelf, rather than how they fit the car.  I
couldn't find anything without a lot of looking.

So, for the new & NOS parts in the basement, I changed things around
such that everything was organized by GM Group Number, per the parts
books.  This causes the entirety of the parts to take up a little more
space, since things were no longer shelved according to size, but I can
find things quickly.

For the used parts, I am still using the "wherever they fit the shelf"
method in the garage, but this is acceptable to me because, generally
speaking, the used parts are large and easy to spot -- engines, diffs et
al.  What small used parts I have are in plain corrugated cardboard
boxes on which I write the contents with a large marker.

I do maintain a database in the computer, too.  Started doing this years
ago when I would go to Hershey, find and buy a special part, bring it
home and discover I already owned one...

--Bob