<VV> John Fitch

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Wed Jun 13 14:13:18 EDT 2012

I received the following from one for  John's friends.  I called him yesterday before i got this.  It was very difficult to talk to him becasue as noted his hearing is very bad.

Subject: Friends of Fitch
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:13:06 -0400

John is doing well, for being close to 95, and still "The Old Man of the Rock".  He is enjoying a much deserved retirement, in his own Home.  He has a Professional Care Giver, who lives in his home full time, and she sees to all of his needs very well....and they like each other.

John is working at increasing his strength every day.....he is getting out of bed, sitting upright, gaining his own balance, and walking to his bathroom, taking care of his needs, and returning to bed UNASSISTED.   He is getting out of bed, sitting at his work desk, and enjoying short walks and sitting outside.  He asked me to take him to the Track on Saturday, to visit with friends!   Thank goodness ALMS is 3 weeks away, and maybe by then, a tour of The Track and Paddock will be good for him.  I am glad that "his head is still in the game".

His hearing is very poor, and as he has his oxygen tubing around his ears, to his nose, so the hearing aide is just too much bother.  So, phone calls to him are difficult and frustrating.  He rests often, taking "cat naps" after an activity, even conversation, so visits need be short.

He enjoys very much reliving his adventures....and reading The Wall Street Journal very day.  Since these are his favorite pastimes, I invite you to write to John, and tell him a story about the 2 of you.....even send a photo if you wish to jog his memory.  He will pour over your letters, over and over, and be able to keep them on his table, to re-read again, at his leisure.

His last cherished times with his Dear Elizabeth were filled with his story telling to her of their many memories......as she would lay rested, her eyes closed....but bearing a warm, familiar smile......I invite you to do the same for him, and bring him warm memories to cherish.

433 Salmon Kill Road, Lime Rock, Ct.  06039