<VV> remove EM heat blower housing and attached parts (solved)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:04:59 EDT 2012

Last week I posted looking for help with removing the housing containing
the heater blower and the attached housing below it that carries the heated
air to the interior of the car.  I was hoping there was some trick to it
but as it turned out nobody had a real answer for me.  I've figured it out
myself now and figured I should post it here (for the archive if nothing
else) in case anyone else is interested.

It turns out the trick is the two little angle brackets through which the
more or less horizontal bolts go into the body (the lower two of the four
fasteners holding this assembly to the body).  The trick is to remove the
brackets themselves from the housing (very likely just unbolting the
brackets from the housing and leaving them attached to the body would also
work).  Once these brackets are removed (and the assembly also detached
from the engine room wall) the whole thing can be tilted down on the engine
room side and moved upward on the back seat side and it comes right out.

The brackets interfere with the wall enough to prevent the rear seat side
from being moved upward which is the only direction in which the thing can
be removed.  I know the explanation above isn't very clear but anyone
having this problem will find they have no trouble removing the unit once
those two little brackets have been removed completely.

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA