<VV> No Corvair, but Wire Wheels Question

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Fri Jun 15 21:19:36 EDT 2012

VVers:

I have a friend who's got a Jaguar XKE with a flat.  The car has wire
wheels (like Kelsey Hayes) and an inner tube.

The friend's question was: Do you know anyone locally who knows anything
about removing the tire from a wire wheel in order to repair or replace
the inner tube ... in a way that won't destroy the wheel?

I told him that I didn't -- his asking reminded me that I haven't seen
my tire iron in God knows how long -- but that I would ask people on VV
since anyone with Kelsey Hayes wheels might know some basic techniques.
Some people at lunch were giving the guy what I thought were some
half-baked answers, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask the experts.

What advice should I give him?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steven "LM guy whose major concern is finding 13-inch tires, not dealing
in the rare-ified air of KH wire wheels" Serenska

'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4