<VV> Adjusting Valves

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 02:12:45 EDT 2012

It is like religion, John - People hold their own beliefs, and are not
particularly interested in changing. It also matters what your intended usage
is, and whether all the parts are brand new. On my race car, I use 1/4 turn,
 because I do not want the lifters to pump up much when I float the valves.
On a  street car, which I want to start up quietly, when I wait a week
between running  it, a half a turn or a bit more is fine. If you have all new
parts, and the  internal plunger won't find any internal resistance to full
travel - a full turn  might be fine. Most used lifters will have deposits
inside that may keep the  plunger from moving down all the way. My suggestion?
Start at one-half a turn.  If you have a noisy lifter  - or two - on cold
startup? Try cranking those  down to 3/4 turn. I have never used a full turn. -
Seth Emerson

In a message dated 6/18/2012 10:56:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,