<VV> PARTS ID AND LIFTERS sorta explained

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 06:38:07 EDT 2012

_http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/ebayetc6-17-12/?action=v
iew&current=DSC02239.jpg       _
(http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/ebayetc6-17-12/?action=view&current=DSC02239.jpg      That)
That
IS the washer used  under the nut on the front spindle.
Adjusting lifters ,: you are attempting to have the plunger centered in the
 bore under full pressure. The original CORVAIR lifters had a different
internal  travel dimension . In fact I think , without researching , they had
different  lifters for "high performance" motors. one style has a tapered non
machined  surface , the other has the whole body  machined, like today's
replacement "small block V*" lifters we use. they have less travel. So if you
 adjust too tight , the valve  could be staying off the seat longer causing
 seats to run hotter , but a slightly larger intake charge.  the chevy
shorter travel is ok for all cast iron , but can be a challenge for us
aluminum  block and head guys. This is a short explanation , likely to  cause
another LONG thread....There is a lot to it! MOST lifters available to us  are a
compromise travel tolerance.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_tappet_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_tappet)    somewhat explains lifters/ tappets.
regards, Tim Colson