<VV> now vapor lock

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Jun 21 17:49:22 EDT 2012

Even hot water works well.  Just be sure not to embarrass your
significant other.

After a hard run to catch the Minescott Beach to Cherry Branch Ferry
(NC), I was third in line on the ferry in my wife's 1965 Corsa convert.
After the 15 minute ferry crossing, the Corsa started normally and made
it half way up the ferry's off ramp before it vapor-locked, blocking the
20 or so other cars still on the ferry. I gabbed a coke bottle from the
waste basket and filled it with the Pamlico Sound water and pored it
over the fuel pump.  The car started after about 10 seconds of cranking
and we pulled over into the parking lot to let the other cars pass while
I calmed down.  I carried a quart of water in the boot for the rest of
the trip just in case. That fall I installed an electric pulse type fuel
pump inline with the mechanical pump.  The electric pump has a manual
on/off switch and is only used to prime the carbs or to overcome vapor
lock.  The year was 1965.  Both pumps are still in the car some 316,000
miles later.
Jim Davis