<VV> A/C Update - 66 Monza

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 22 13:57:26 EDT 2012

Bill,

It is highly likely that you have a "blanket" of insulation over the heads
and between the cylinders as well.  It is also quite possible that much of
it was placed there by a rodent of some sort and did not just fall off and
get sucked in by the fan.

Take a day to remove the top cover (which means first removing the carbs,
alternator, and other miscellaneous items) and SEE for certain what is in
there.  Also remove the lower shrouds and put some light under the engine in
order to see if passages are clear of "casting flash".  If this engine has
never been de-flashed, now is the time to do it.  Add 1/2 day for that.

Once this is completed, your engine should run much cooler without needing
water injection.  If you so choose, you could leave the lower shrouds off
during the months that you do not need to run the heater.  This also helps
to lower engine temp and reduce or eliminate ping caused by heat.

Oh yes - replace the seals on the oil cooler.  The existing ones will be
rock hard by now.

Later, JR