<VV> A clutch failure

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:35:35 EDT 2012

A week ago, while city driving the Rampside, the clutch stopped disengaging so, drove back home trying to catch most green lights and/or starting engine with 1st sp. on and then changing gears aiding with throttle pedal. It was a sudden fail, from working fine to not working.While at my cave, did these steps:1.- Checked all clutch linkage and it is fine.2.- Took off starter to inspect all 6 bolts that attach clutch assembly to flywheel, they are fine.3.- Today, as I needed to move she out, to make room for moving my recently painted 67 Cpe., tightened the clutch cable adjusting nut several turns in and clutching worked fine enough to move her out and in the cave but, noticed a very soft and effortless clutching action.I certainly know that a misadjusted linkage was not the cause of the problem as it didn't happen gradually but, suddenly so, suspect of a broken diaphragm spring.
What do you guys think about ?
As always... thanks in advance
Daniel MonasterioPS. Could be my first broken diaphragm spring in 44 years of corvairing.