<VV> Total Seal rings and turbo oil smoke

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Sun Jun 24 20:46:55 EDT 2012

I've gotten very used to modern cars with near zero oil consumption.  But
with the Corvair, I'm also used to it's need for oil every 4th or 5th tank
of gas.  It's just the newly developed, but occasional, "mosquito killing
clouds of smoke" that offends me.  (I don't grieve for the dead mosquitoes
though!)

For the first 100k miles on the car, I didn't know about the need for
cool-down after hard runs but it survived just fine.  When I overhauled the
turbo, it was remarkably clean; some coking inside the exhaust turbine
housing, but the bearing assembly and compressor side were almost like new
with all clearances at factory spec.  I guess the frequent oil changes (and
constant feeding of fresh oil) helped.

Since the car's restoration, it's been much more gently driven, though the
turbo has been used on occasion -- with cool-downs -- and its been feed
synthetic oil so I doubt there's any significant coking going on.  I'm
going to just put the current problem down to the carbon oil seal aging
until I get the time to pull it apart.

So I think it's appropriate to close this discussion for now.  I'll post
new info if something develops.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair