<VV> QUEST TO FIND OLD FAMILY MONZA CPE

Tom Nys tomrnys1 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 3 22:48:59 EST 2012

Corvair Fans-

Old cars is my hobby. I miss our old family 'Vair, especially now since my Dad passed away last November. He and I used to work on it alot together when I was growing up.

It was an Ermine White Monza Coupe with a saddle interior. My folks bought it new in '63 at Courtesy Chevrolet, Houston, TX. Dad ordered it with factory A/C because, as a baby, I would break out in Houston Heat Rash in our old open TR-3 (what a pity). They wanted really bad to, but DIDN'T, order the Spyder package because the cost was too prohibitive.

Dad ordered it with Posi-Trak and a 4-speed because he and Mom wanted to have some fun with it - entering it in numerous gymkhanas, rallies, auto crosses and ice-runs over the years (the latter after moving to Michigan in the early '70s).  Dad even had it fitted with heavy-duty aircraft-style, lever-latch front seat belts for such occasions. Dad had painted the original steel wheels gold so that the car would have a snappier appearance when he removed the wheel covers for these events.

The dual Carter MonoJet carbs had to be rebuilt religiously every 30K miles due to progressively hard hot-starting.  The A/C cratered sometime in the early '70s and unfortunately my Dad didn't keep all of the parts to help put it back in service at a later date. He removed the compressor, condenser and some of the plumbing, but the dryer, other plumbing and all interior components of the system remained.

My folks sold it back in '86 in the vicinity of Eureka, MO (West St Louis County) when my Dad's job transferred him back to Michigan. It still ran, but roughly - the carbs finally requiring replacement. The J.C. Whitney replacements were crap, though, behaving with irreparable flooding at idle, but great performance at road speeds.

It had the original Ermine White paint with a great shine and a few little dings and dents.  The interior was a little worn (armrest pads shot, carpet worn but presentable, perfect dash, perfect headliner, good door panels, driver's seat piping starting to pop out, but it was in very good condition overall.  Even still had the Bowing-Man "Courtesy Chevrolet - Houston, Texas" dealer badge on the rear decklid.

I'd like to track down old "Carlos" (as we pet-named it) again, see who owns it now, see pictures of how the old beast is, even if it's not for sale.  If it is, though, I might make an offer!

Can Corvair Fans in the West St. Louis County area give me a hand?

Thanks,
Tom Nys
Riverside, CA