<VV> A lucky morning

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:21:50 EST 2012

Have been dealing with Corvairs by the past 44 years and, of course, dealt with loose valve seats, wheel and diff. bearings, broke cam gear, worn rocker arms & pushrods, etc. but, never have had a failure like this morning's. At 9 AM Left my cave in the Andariego (67 Cpe.) leading to civilization when, after 1/2 mile driving, lost steering totally while driving at 15MPH on a low traffic street.Pitman bushing bolt was out of pitman arm and, no sign of the nut. Walked back to the cave, get a nut and cotter pin and fixed it.Why a lucky morning ?... felt scary on the same failure traveling at road speeds.Last time I touched that nut was several months ago at switching the rubber bushing to a nylon one and, for sure, didn't put the cotter pin.
BTW, I use to be very careful on all the jobs on my Corvairs by checking and double checking every part and labor but, time takes it's toll on old fart brains. Will try to be more careful and you, guys try to learn from others' mistakes.
Tomorrow will check carefully to see if the car needs another pitman arm and bushing conical bolt (could have some wearing while loosening).
Daniel Monasterio