<VV> Drivers side smoking out exhaust

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 15:26:24 EST 2012

I have a 66 140. The engine seems to start smoking when the engine comes up to
temp. I'm thinking valve seals or a stuck ring. My gut says a stuck ring because

of bore size increases when engine and oil come up to temp. When the engine is
cold no smoke. I can smell oil burn. Any thoughts?
 Thank you-Stephen Till

I say most likely rings.... as oil warms.. it thins....  plain and simple...

Valve seals would only be on de-celleration or prolonged idling...

 If it were mine.. I'd buy a set of cheap cast iron rings...  pull the head and 3 barrels...ball hone the cylinders

Install rings....

note:  On used cylinders.... sometimes you need to buy the next size up.. and file the ring ends to get a proper gap.

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages