<VV> any known flat 8 - Not Much Vair - Off Topic - Et Cetera

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Mon Mar 5 19:02:05 EST 2012

They are still in widespread use in lawnmowers.  I'm surprised Harley doesn't still use them.  You can have it all with flat heads!  Terrible combustion chambers, low compression, nasty high emissions and don't forget the horrible port design.  To give them a little credit it is really difficult to bend a valve with a piston and you don't need pushrods either.  We could retrofit those old cone and candle ignition systems too.  Maybe we could build special cranks to un-balance our engines.
Joel McGregor

 Egads!!! WHY??? The thing is heavy, not particularly powerful, thirsty,
etc. There's a damn good reason why flatheads fell out of favor so quickly!!

John Roberts