<VV> Garage Find Tires

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Mar 6 13:28:51 EST 2012

I have a nearly new old stock 6.50 - 13 that lived as an almost unused spare in a '65 I once owned.  It measures just shy of 25 inches tall, is mounted on the original wheel and fully inflated.

For the new tires I have a set of 14 inch wheels from a 1969 ElCamino but, as it looks like 14 inch tires may be going the route of the 13s in availability I decided to use a set of chrome 'smoothie' wheels which I won in a raffle at a Vacationland Corvair Club event some years back.  These wheels are 15 inch diameter. with both 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 bolt circles, 6 inches wide and with the  4 1/4 backspacing that is quite typical of GM cars back in the day.

I selected B. F. Goodrich P215/70R15 Premier Touring tires [26 inches tall] for the rear and they fit without modification.

I selected Bridgeston P205/70R15 Insignia SE 200 [just shy of 25 inches tall] for the front.  Because the tread width is quite a bit greater than the original 6.50 - 13 the clearance at the lower edge of the front of the front fender is pretty tight.  I will clay the fender in that area and test it on the road then I will decide if it will need to be altered for additional clearance.  I really do not want to make any metal modifications to this rust free body if possible.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.