<VV> Insulators WAS Carb question

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Mar 7 10:38:11 EST 2012

I do not know where you live but, here in Michigan and 200 feet from the Detroit River. I get lots of chances to experience carb icing!  Everything ices almost every day except in the summer.  Still, icing is a relatively short lived condition.  I have long lost count of the number of Corvairs I have had over the years, including the 4 barrel system on both two and four carb engines.  My experience has been that none of the other kinds of cars which I have owned have been able to clear icing as quickly as any of my Corvairs.

All the cars I have today use an outside air induction system with exhaust manifold heat for cold engine operation, except the 57 Corvette 2 four barrel and the 65 'Garage Find' Corvair.  Those other cars get NO radiator warmed air to the carbs.  The Corvette ices quickly and is in no hurry to get over it because icing mostly happens before the radiator gets warm.  The 'Garage Find' is not yet ready for the road, but there will be a time that it will receive extra insulators and perhaps even a cold air induction system [I do not really to cut up this very rust free body]

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.