<VV> VM, 60 Piranha and John Fitch

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Mar 7 12:30:39 EST 2012

All:  Got my VM double issue Monday.

I always crack up laughing when there is a picture and/or comments about the
"60 Piranha" Zucchi runs.  He enters it as a 1960 and under 2-liter class,
when it is from 1967 and is over 2 liters.  Unless, of course, he has
successfully accomplished what Bill Thomas and at lease 2 other engine
builders were unable to do back in the day, which is build a 2 liter Corvair
which actually generates power to be competitive with the Lotus Twin-Cam,
BMW and Porsche engines.  What a hoot!!

I've been tempted to blow the whistle on him, but my sometimes perverse
sense of humor enjoys him fooling some very pompous west coast vintage race
organizers and racers.

The VM issue has a story on John Fitch's military career and life by
normally reliable writer and historian Art Evens.  Besides being inaccurate
on several things, probably result of believing without verifying everything
John thinks he remembers, it tells a tale which does not need to be told,
especially in a magazine devoted to automotive history.  As a subscriber
since 1987 and past contributor to VM, I am embarrassed and ashamed of this
expose.  Totally uncalled for in any publication, unless of course, you like
to read the National Enquirer.  If I find the time, I'll probably tell VM
about it.  At this point, I do not care if I burn whatever bridge I still
have with them.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

PS see the Communique for Jan 2004 for info on Corvair powered sports-racing
car, and last March's issue with the article on John Fitch.

Message: 8