<VV> any known flat 8 - Not Much Vair - Off Topic - Et Cetera

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Mar 9 07:31:06 EST 2012

At 11:46 AM 3/7/2012, ScottyGrover at aol.com wrote:
>Kaiser/Willys also made a 161CID 6-cylinder version for Jeeps; it was also
>used in the Kaiser/Darrin, K/W's competition for the first-series
>Corvette.
>
>Scotty from Hollyweird
>.
>

>In a message dated 3/7/2012 5:10:40 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>corvairduval at cox.net writes:
>
>To  continue this off topic discussion, I've got a 4 cylinder "F" head
>engine  in a vehicle. A cross between  a flat head and overhead valve
>design.
>
>Willys.

The M-151 Jeep used a 4-banger F-head engine, intake valves in the
head, exhausts in the block.   Do I assume Frank's engine came out of
a Jeep, maybe?   Or is it from another Willys product?   :)

That engine made respectable power for its size and proved to be
rather durable, never ever heard of anyone breaking one and Army
Jeeps got thrashed and bashed serious.   Willys musta put them
together thinking that demo-derby drivers would end up in them.

I once pondered the notion of two Corvair engines grafted together to
make a 12 cylinder boxer.   If someone could do it with a pair of SBC
V-8s (and somebody did, don't ask me why) to make a V-16, I imagine
some intrepid machinist could likewise do something similar with a
couple of 'Vair engines.

...not real sure what you could do with such an engine, but it would
be interesting.  Imagine the exhaust note.

tony..