<VV> 30 watt or 80 watt replacement speakers

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Fri Mar 9 11:00:08 EST 2012

I'm with Matt and Frank on the speakers.  The AM radio's amplifier is not exactly high fidelity to begin with.  In very general terms (no flame please) the higher powerhandling capacity of the speaker (80 watts versus 30 watts) implies less efficiency (it needs more power for a given sound level) due to a larger diameter voice coil, differenct cone surround and other design features.  The radio's amp can only provide so much power at a given distortion level--at higher power levels the distortion curve goes up drastically.  So if you connect a higher efficency speaker (usually, but not always) the one with the lower power handling rating then you are more likely to get a higher volume at a lower distortion level.  In my early Corvair days I sold high fidelity equipment at two different companies.  The company that sold the cheaper equipment used to keep a good pair of AR speakers for comparison to their high markup cheaper speakers.  Connecting the low efficiency (but high quality) AR speakers to their cheap, low power amps resulted in distorted sound because the cheap amp couldn't produce enough power at low distortion and was driven into "clipping" trying to power the ARs while the same amp connected to the cheaper, higher efficiency speakers produced a much better sound.  We sold few AR speakers there, but lots of cheap, high markup ones (I left as soon as I could afford to).

Sort of like the scene in "Ruthless People" when the salesman demonstrates the really big speakers to the naive buyer with the pregnant wife.

Bob