<VV> mystery fuel leak, need help

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:46:45 EDT 2012

I have a terrible feeling that I'm missing something obvious but I really
need to get this fixed.

A week or more ago I started smelling gas when walking past the 63 coupe.
 I opened the engine lid and noticed it was wet behind (toward rear of the
car) the passenger side carb (the car is facing slightly uphill so the
wetness is on the downhill side).  I looked around and felt the fuel line
and got no moisture on my finger at the inlet/filter nut area.  I figured
the leak was probably due to my having taken the carb apart a couple times
without replacing the (only a few months old) gasket.

Now the car has been sitting without being started for over a week and it
is still very wet in the same place which I find odd.  Today I decided I
needed the car back on the road so I took the top of the carb off and found
the fuel level inside the bowls to be just barely below the main jet.....
far lower than the top gasket!

Also of note, I can't see any real stain trail from anywhere on the carb
down to the puddle of gasoline.  It looks like (but impossible I think?)
the fuel is leaking out at the base of the carb.  Again, it is important to
remember that the car has not been cranked or started for over a week...
possibly closer to two weeks.

Thanks for any help!

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III