<VV> Oil pressure regulator spring, my take

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 12:25:19 EDT 2012

Randy, that technology does not relate to later engine designs, the
difference being if you want to change your bearings every 20 to 30 k
miles splash worked. These engines are designed to be pressure fed to
provide the needed boundary layer of oil in the bearings, plus
everything else is pressure fed in the corvair engine. However, if the
light switch is accurate and it stays off when the engine is warmed up,
you are correct, there is enough pressure at idle for the stresses
involved. I would be more concerned about low pressure above idle, if
pressure above idle is correct, then idle pressure is ok if the light
stays off. i used to work on 6 cylinder aircraft engines whose oil
pressure at idle could be as low as 10 psi. They were 375hp, never had
a oil related bearing failure on them. Pressure above idle was 45 psi.
Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone