<VV> 66 monza convertible

Shelrockbored at aol.com Shelrockbored at aol.com
Tue Mar 27 17:47:47 EDT 2012

Tim:

I can't see the critical part of the rust you say is on/in the fenders,
that part of the pictures, in the broadside images, are in shadow.   This is
my gut feeling for what it is worth and it depends largely on the  integrity
of the rocker panels.  If these are shot, very likely if the  front floor
panels are gone, then I would part out the car.  Not that it  cannot be
repaired but it is expensive and time consuming.  If the  panels are good then get
it running and sell it.  A broken flywheel can be  replaced much more
easily than bad rocker panels.

A very simple way to determine if the rocker panels are still intact is to
do the convertible test as defined in the book "Corvair  Basics."  Release
the convertible top from the windshield but do not  lower it.  Open both
doors and rock the car by the doors.  If the  panels are intact the top should
rock with the car.  If there is  appreciable play in the panels the
difference will be noticeable by the  proximity of the top to the windshield.  It
will not rock in unison with  the rest of the car.  Another method as
described in "Corvair Basics"  is to open both doors and have someone stand in the
center of the car.  If  the panels are bad the doors will either not close or
close poorly with  appreciable rubbing felt and/or seen.  A third method
which I observed  myself is to jack up the rear of the car so the rear wheels
are off the  ground.  Clearance between the doors and the front fenders will
noticeably  change.  It may be impossible to open the doors without
damaging either the  doors or the fenders.

Among other things, this is what I would look for if purchasing a
convertible Corvair.

Hope this helps.

Steve Sassi
Long Island Corvair (LICA)

In a message dated 3/27/2012 2:42:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,