<VV> Alternatives Re: Turbo retard unit adjustment, is there such a thing?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun May 6 15:21:19 EDT 2012

Carlton,
     Some of us with turbovairs use "electronic  knock eliminators" that
simply "listen" for pings/knocks in the engine and  automatically and
instantly retard the ignition timing as necessary to eliminate  the knock just as
done by modern computer-controlled ignitions.  Mine is a  Carter Engine Knock
Eliminator that I got many years ago from Clark's.   With this unit I
installed a stock Corvair vacuum advance from a  NON-turbocharged Corvair.  So I
have vacuum advance that works just fine  when the engine is NOT on boost as
well as a timing retard setup that  works when the engine is boosted.
     And even better system is the SafeGuard unit  specifically setup for
your Corvair that electronically retards only the  timing on the cylinder
that needs it and has a driver display available that  shows when and how much
the timing is being retarded.  It's offered by  Ray Sedman at his
American-Pi site:
        _http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/corvhome.html_
(http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/corvhome.html)

The SafeGuard with display is particularly useful for setting up your
carburetion and timing as well as adding improvements like water  injection

Frank "stock is a good beginning" Burkhard
Boonton, NJ

In a message dated 5/6/2012 12:09:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,