<VV> Descending a mountain

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 8 17:34:06 EDT 2012

Mark,

The problem comes when the decent begins in that cooled air at (say) 7000
feet which is about 20(ish) degrees colder than at sea level.  And then,
going through the mountains, the heat - cool cycle is repeated several times
in succession.  As someone else has already said, relatively mild speeds are
called for so as to help avoid sudden changes in engine temp.

You can get a similar rapid temp change on the tollway (we got plenty of
those around Chicago's flatland 700' above sea level).  Come cruising up to
the toll both at 75ish.  Stop just long enough to pay the toll (usually
involves a wait - at essentially idle - behind a few cars for your turn) and
then blast off again to get back to your "cruising" speed.  Virtually all of
those stop and go tolls are gone now - except for folks who do not have the
Ipass (transponder).

Later, JR