<VV> More on valve seat failures

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue May 8 18:19:26 EDT 2012

Kerwin, I know it seems the aviation engines would have it worst but
the interference fit is tighter and a engine under constant power, say
75% at cruise, would just cool down 25 degrees or so, there would be no
cold shocking because the amount of power required to keep an aircraft
in the air is higher than what we run our Corvair engines and the
cylinders flow far more air to remove the heat, too.
We are also limited on how much air can flow by the fan and restrictive
ductwork. For example, the oil cooler on a Corvair flows cool air into
the lower shrouds, only when air is moving out of the schrouds, Oman
aircraft, the air dumps overboard, so it is capable of cooling the oil
much more. The corvair design was used, I think, to prevent oil from
congealing in a cold cooler in cool climates.
Mark Durham
Sent from my Windows Phone