<VV> Dropped Valve Seats

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 9 00:04:24 EDT 2012

>From my experience - two 140's and one 110 seat, the dropped seat typically
(physically) occurs much as Smitty described, in low stress situations and
often after a brief stop.  Two of them were just after gas stops and one of
those before I even got out of the driveway of the station.  In both cases
the seat fell back into place and I was able to drive on - gently - knowing
that I had a "loose" valve seat.

However, something had to have occurred prior to the seat actually falling
out (fan belt? other? something before I was the owner?) which had started
the process which lead to the actual displaced seat occurrence.  It may have
been a one time overheat occurrence OR a series of occurrences like the up -
down mountain scenario OR something as simple as an accumulation of heat -
cool cycles over a number of years AND/OR other factors.  Often, you end up
with a (smiley face?) on the top of the piston when the seat slips out but
does not break and (at low speeds) you might detect a sound similar to a
wedding ring falling onto concrete.

Now, they don't all (unfortunately) happen at low speed.  I had one go (# 3)
on a 140 at approx 80mph and it took out the whole right bank.  Particles
floated through the intake manifold in both directions and turned #s 1 and 5
pistons and cylinders to junk as well.  I'm embarrassed to admit, but this
came about around three months after a serious overheat situation (my fault)
when the sun was on the dash (convert) and I neglected to notice the idiot
light.

When inspecting a head for possible past overheat occurrences I not only
look at the valve seat area for damage, but also look for evidence of a lip
on the edge where the head gasket can leave an impression if the head got
too hot in the past.

Later, JR