<VV> VW conversion

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed May 9 08:03:13 EDT 2012

Kelly Parker says:
  I'm in need of an oil slinger for a 65, 110 engine I'm currently
rebuilding. This was not a complete engine when I got it some years ago.
Partially disassembled, someone was trying to build it for a VW conversion.
I found that the rods were mounted on the crank upside down, ( numbers on
rods not showing.) , and notch on pistons facing the rear of the engine. Oh,
and lets not forget the nicks on the rod journals from the connecting rod
bolts.

Kelly, if the guy was reversing the engine rotation to use the stock VW
transaxle, it is common to put the rods on upside down due to the offset.
The pistons do not have the wrist pin in the center, it is offset to reduce
piston slap.  The point here is to check your distributer drive gear on the
crank and make sure it is not the reverse rotation gear.  It would be a pain
if you put the engine together and discover the distributor gear doesn't
mesh with the crank gear!
Clark Hartzel