<VV> valve seats - Head Temps

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 10 10:02:39 EDT 2012

I considered 550 on my 64 Spyder gauge too high. 600+ was seen early in my
ownership. 500 on a normal summer day interstate speed was a typical
reading.

Of course the heads were dropping vavle seats regularly. And why it is off
the road currently. It is a 145 cu in YR engine.

Most miles were before the vast knowledge of head deflashing, etc. we have
now on the internet discussion boards and forums. There is no RED zone on
the factory gauge, so what is too hot? I know many Spyder owners who
experienced similar readings. Corsa owners however, always had lower
readings. Maybe due to most being normally asperated 140s instead of all
turbos like Spyders?

And, how accurate was my gauge?

Frank DuVal