<VV> Engine Bay Temperature (was valve seats)

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri May 11 23:38:59 EDT 2012

My Red '66 140/4 EFI A/C car has an intake air temperature sensor in the
air cleaner so a simple connection of the scan tool reveals the
temperature  at the air intake, just forward and outboard of #6.  It's
almost always reading the approximate outdoor ambient temperature.  (My
oil cooler has block-off plates and the engine compartment is properly
sealed using stock parts).

Given the 600-1700 CFM airflow, it would be hard to imagine a much
higher number though I would be willing to bet it's well above ambient
at the left and right sides above the mufflers and out of the main
airstream.

After shutdown and hot soak, I wouldn't be surprised to see 200-250F for
a while.

Craig N.