<VV> CHT Re: valve seats and "Ping"

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun May 13 14:16:41 EDT 2012

Matt and John,
     Some decades ago when I drove my 1965 180  regularly to work, it would
NORMALLY run at 400 deg.F (stock gauge  and thermistor) on level highways
at 55 to 70 mph.  Occasionally  I would "floor it" going up a long hill to
see what boost I got and the stock  CHT would go to 450 deg.F. but I did have
a electronic knock eliminator (Carter  EKE) which may have saved me.  The
boost reached 8 psig on a non stock  gauge.  It was only after I insulated the
exhaust piping UPSTREAM of the  turbo that I was able to get 10 psig.  But
the stock exhaust piping lasted  only about 6 months before it disintegrated
at the UP-bend due to overheating of  the metal (according to the chief
metallurgist at the chemical plant where I  worked).
     My other Corvairs (110 and 95 hp models) I ran  with an aftermarket
CHT gauge installed.  This was a Stewart Warner  "Corvair Cylinder Head
Temperature Gauge" (Model 366-LW) with a gauge that ran  from an indicated 200 to
500 deg.F. and included a thermistor that was installed  in the STOCK 3/8
in. tapped hole in the "forward portion of the left cylinder  head".  I
checked the calibration of the gauge in boiling water and it was  right on using
14 volts.  In operation both the 110 and 95 hp engines  normally indicated
350 deg. F.  Except for the two times when I let it get  up to 450.  One time
I had to drive home on only 3 cylinders due to only  one functioning carb
fortunately on the left bank.  The other time I had to  drive home local roads
with NO functioning fan due to harmonic balancer  separation.  Both times
when the temp got over 450, I stopped for a time  and let the engine cool off
before resuming my trip.  Both times the engine  suffered no apparent
damage, but it did have the advantage of synthetic engine  oil and Viton O-rings.
     That's why I believe EVERY Corvair needs at least  ONE CHT gauge.
Frank "likes gauges" Burkhard
Boonton, NJ

In a message dated 5/10/2012 4:08:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,