<VV> no electrics

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun May 13 15:58:59 EDT 2012

Almost every Corvair I've had experienced an engine shut down unexpectedly. The culprit? The HRPT. Fusible links are better than fuses because they have less resistance. But, to shut the car down, the power going forward is interrupted. Not a red herring at all. And that battery pigtail supplies power going forward, and ties into the alternator lead as well. Three wires going there. Having an interruption to the alternator also plays hell with the charging circuit, especially for 10SI installations.

I've never had a problem with the multicavity connectors, although they can be a problem. The HRPT seems to be the first place to look when the engine goes out from lack of electricity.

John Roberts