<VV> fan NOISE

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Thu May 17 15:33:31 EDT 2012

On 5/17/2012 12:23 PM, J R Read wrote:
> Noise was likely a factor in the mag fans, but a bigger factor was
> likely weight - to get more useful horses out of the engines AND to
> eliminate (at least reduce) the thrown belt phenomenon.

Along with fabrication costs, too, I am sure -- one piece casting
instead of 20 to 40 all needing assembly into one unit -- the earliest
Corvair fan is simply a re-sized copy of the same fan VW was using at
the time -- probably the best known technology of the era.

I was just wondering if there was any actual data on noise levels as
part of the redesign, as well as cost and weight.

Speaking of weight, is there a significant difference in the weight of
the stepped flywheels vs the flat ones?

Bill Strickland