<VV> CHT Re: valve seats and "Ping"

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat May 19 14:46:53 EDT 2012

1.  I guess I'll have to explain it in simpler terms.  Once the  needle on
the CHT gauge begins going above the normal (for those Corvairs) 350,  you
begin watching it closely while driving the car.  When you have  driven a
distance far enough that the needle exceeds 450 and keeps moving  higher, you
pull over, shut off the engine and raise the engine compartment  lid so the
engine can cool off.  Once it has cooled sufficiently, you  restart and
resume the rest of your driving.
2.  In one of my situations, the engine needed a rebuilt/new  carburetor.
In the other, it needed a new harmonic balancer.  Do you  carry those items
with you??  I don't.
3.  I'll have to agree with you on this one.<GGGG>
4.  You could have installed a larger water tank, but I'm glad to  learn
that you acknowledge that the water injection DID work.  If you  want to keep
your air-cooled Corvair engine in a strictly stock condition,  then by all
means don't use water injection.  But that would also keep you  from adding
intercoolers as well.  And some intercoolers actually use WATER  cooling to
remove heat from the intercooler
5.   I've used water injection on NON-boosted engines where an  intercooler
would have been useless.  Intercoolers are used by auto makers  because
they are virtually idiot proof.  And if "everybody" is using  intercoolers,
then why are there a number of companies making and selling water  injection
systems????
6.  Those of us that try to extract additional power from out  air-cooled
engines are willing to try whatever works.  Just ask Tom  K.

Frank "stock Corvair is a good beginning" Burkhard

In a message dated 5/17/2012 8:06:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,