<VV> Engine start troubleshooting help

rod murray rmurray8996 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 08:43:17 EDT 2012

Thx for responses so far...I believe the problem is electrical....pump
appears to be working as  a) I can hear it, and b) gas is visibly jetting
into the carbs when I move the throttle...thinking coil is next stop since
I saw no spark when I pulled the center distributor wire (from coil).
 Should i be trying a plug wire instead?  I do have another coil I could
put on to try, but figure I should test for power first.    What's best way
to test power at the coil and backtrack from there?

Btw, Power to replacement pump is same as previous setup and had no issues
- have to admit idont recall the source of power for the pump - i just
re-used the same wire as before (pump is a full-time op, i removed the
mechanical pump long ago).  pump is located in front frame rail area behind
tank where fuel line exits tank - hot wire is a light- colored wire pulled
from inside the covered underside center that runs front to back.

Hoping to get this resolved today...

Thx again...

Rod

On Sunday, May 20, 2012, Dave Thompson <dave.thompson at verizon.net> wrote:
> Rod,
>
> My first thought is that the pump is defective.
>
> Disconnect the output (engine end) of the pump, at the pump. Put a
suitable catch container there and run the pump. You should get a good
stream of gas out of the pump.

> If all tests OK, Reconnect the pump.
>
> Disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the engine. Put an extension
hose on it dropped into a suitable container and test the pump again. This
is to verify that the body fuel line is not clogged.

> If all tests OK,
>
> While cranking, Carefully remove one plug wire from the distributor cap.
Hold it close to the terminal and see if it sparks. If not, Check for power
at the + of the coil.

> Do you have an electronic ignition system? If so, verify that the gap is
correct between the control unit and the “ring” on the distributor cam
shaft. If all is good but still no spark, change out to points. I returned
MANY defective Pertronix electronic ignition systems.

> If you are running points, check that the dwell is correct. I had a cheap
set of points wear the rubbing block down one time.

marty24 at comcast.net
> Subject: Engine start troubleshooting help
>

> Following a recent vapor lock incident, i set after swapping electric
fuel pumps today...here's general sequence...
> - drove the car to fixit location, put front wheels up on wheel
ramps...note car started fine as always...
> - pulled pos cable from battery
> - replaced pump...triple-checked for proper install
> - reconnected battery cable
> - put some gas in the carbs to help get it started
> - tried to start, heard the pump, but no crank...headlights dim, and
practically gone when I tried starting (did that to check batt
status)...hmmm, dead battery?  How did that happen?
> - checked carbs, confirmed jets are shooting gas...good there.
> - charged battery, retried starting...cranking fine again, but still
won't start...
> - I checked for spark from coil to distributor...nothing...
> - i checked the infamous engine death wire connection on drivers side of
engine compartment....checked for spark again, still nothing...

> What else should I check?  Did i kill the coil somehow?  Is there an
inline fuse somewhere that could be involved?  This must be something
simple (that i did) since it started up fine this at beginning of this
sequence...

--
Rod
*"Reloaded in da 'burgh"*