<VV> Engine start troubleshooting help

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Sun May 20 11:15:38 EDT 2012

I think the clue is the battery.  Do you have a volt meter?  If so, check
the open circuit voltage of the battery, that is, with the cable
disconnected.  It should be somewhere around 13 volts.  If it's low, you've
got a battery problem, either a bad battery or it's been discharged
somehow.  If the voltage is good, then heck it again with the cable
reconnected and everything off -- including any interior or engine
compartment lights.  If the voltage drops, you've got a short or at least a
significant current drain somewhere so check whatever you've changed --
your fuel pump connections -- perhaps you managed to ground something that
shouldn't be grounded.  Again, if the voltage is good, turn on your
headlights (hi beams) and check the voltage a third time.  It should drop
slightly, but if the battery is good and is reasonably fully charged the
voltage should stay up around 11.5 - 12 volts.

One problem I had way back when was breaking the battery post connection
internal to the battery.  Somehow when removing/reinstalling the battery
cable, the connection inside the battery broke.  I don't know if it was a
manufacturing defect or if I was too rough on it, but that battery was
toast.