<VV> bought a 64 convertible today, questions!

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sun May 20 22:19:52 EDT 2012

Hello folks.    (I underlined the important questions for anyone who
doesn't want to read the whole story as I tend to be a bit long winded)

Today I purchased a 1964 Convertible with a pretty nice red and white
interior and good top for a very reasonable price because the car had
suffered an engine fire.  We are assuming the engine is a total loss at
this point though that very likely is not the case.  The fire was
extinguished pretty quickly and the vast majority of the damage was limited
to the engine lid.  The body is a bit wavy but does not have any serious
rust issues (by my standards anyway).  The one catch was that I was told
the engine fire happened shortly after a restoration in which many many
parts were replaced (including the interior), what they didn't tell me was
that this happened in 1996 and the car has been parked in their garage ever
since!  This means the upholstery is not nearly new as I expected, but it
is in excellent condition for it's age.  At least it was a dry garage and
not damp, but still the car smells horrible inside and I'm certain the
heater system is full of mouse housing.  I might need some help on how to
clean out the convertible heater ducts as they are completely different
from those I'm accustomed to.

I'm sure I'll have a slew of questions coming at you guys since this is my
first convertible Corvair, but for now I'm just requesting some info on
paint codes.

I don't know if this car was repainted an original color or not.  The car
is a fairly bright red (but not firetruck red) but it has some metallic in
it.  I'm nearly certain "Palomar Red" is metallic but I think this is
brighter,* is "Ember Red" metallic* at all?  I'm nearly certain this car is
a lighter red than "Palomar Red".  It's a very attractive color and I'm
hoping it won't be too hard to match.  I have the paint code info for the
factory exterior colors, I just need to know which one (if any) it is.

The other question is also about paint but pertains to a different car.  *Can
anyone provide information for my local paint shop to mix me the correct
red interior paint for a 1962 Monza?*  We have two of them (one mine and
one Ben's) that need this paint renewed and I expect to be doing at least
one of them in only a few weeks.

I'm going to link the CL ad where I found the car, but this is definitely
one of those cases where the pics look a lot better than reality.  The
interior is quite nice but not new looking as it appears in the photo.  The
red on the exterior of the car appears a little darker than in the photo.
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3016030959.html .  This does mean I'm
temporarily out of the market for that 3k Spyder coupe, but I'm hoping to
be back in the market by fall.

Thanks as always!
*
*