<VV> Engine Cooling and Other Musings

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Mon May 21 14:20:46 EDT 2012

Two very interesting perspectives.  As the owner of three "at risk"
Corvairs (1 - AC, 2 -- 140s), and as a person who likes to drive old cars
aggressively and on long road trips, I guess I should have a vague sense of
unease when driving one of the Corvairs.  And I do -- even though I've
never had a breakdown in one of my Corvairs in the thousands of miles I've
been driving them since 1967.  Maybe I do too much reading of posts in VV,
FastVairs, and the various Corvair forums that discuss the numerous ways
Corvairs can fail.

On the other hand, I don't have the same feeling of unease when
road-tripping in the '73 Nova 350.  Maybe it's because the Nova people
don't discuss failure modes nearly as much as the Corvair folks.  Maybe
that's because the SBC Nova is a more reliable vehicle, or maybe it's an
illusion.  Last year we did a 2K trip in the Nova with no issues except for
its crappy 17 mpg gas mileage (but in fairness, I did do quite of bit of
driving at 75-80).  On the other hand, we did a trip of about the same
distance in the AC Corvair convertible.

Bottom line, I do think the Nova is a more reliable car, but the Corvairs
are more fun.

Dave Keillor