<VV> A/C Adventures Continue... still

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 14:44:29 EDT 2012

                                                                           B"H

Guys:

Keep in mind that so much of this car was mucked around with and there was lots of stuff that was messed up big time.  And yes, it's a '66 with what appears to be original factory components except for hoses, which appear to have been replaced not too long ago.

The mercury switch is long gone; I am fully aware of the high pressure condition when running the compressor with the engine lid up so I charged with the lid CLOSED and with a LONG hose.

The previous owner bypassed this switch and the black wire was grounded, and I did raise the lid for a VERY brief time and saw that the compressor was operating (full pulley engagement) with the FAN switch on and the COOL level depressed.

I agree that a mercury switch is important and I will no doubt get one and install it; I just wanted to determine if the system actually works and whether there are any leaks in the system.

I also have a couple of 12" fans with aluminum shrouds from my '69 that I plan to install in front of the '66 condenser to assist in moving air across its fins.  this was a big help with my '69's system (aftermarket with '66 style condenser) to make the system more efficient.

What I found strange was after that "explosion," the system seems to still run fine (thank G-d), with nice cold air blowing.  I am pretty sure I put the refrigerant on the high side of the compressor, which caused the blowup.  I don't understand why, whoever did that job, didn't bother to use the correct size fitting for the High pressure side.

I now know better.  I am going to try to get a large high-pressure fitting if I can find one.

Thanks...Bill Hershkowitz