<VV> custom fans

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:19:56 EDT 2012

Boys, boys, you cannot overturn the laws of physics. You just do not
seem to get that increased pressure will not substantially increase
cooling. Only so much air can move through the fins at the right speed
and pressure to cool.
I used to work for a aircraft research and development firm where we
designed inlets for engine cowls, intercoolers, oil coolers, etc., and
a comparison can be had where a large inlet would be the same as a more
efficient fan in a Corvair. We actually had to decrease the size of the
opening at the inlet and slow down the air (reduce the pressure in the
air box over the engine, to get efficient cooling thru the fins. More
pressure brought on turbulent flow which caused hot spots. The Corvair
stock fan is a mass production design and does the job for production
engines. A fancier design may save some hp for drivers, but adding more
pressure might have the opposite of the intended effect.
If you really want more cooling then install a intercooler, move the
oil cooler and put a fan on it or redirect the outlet air away from the
lower shroud area, and then realize that the turbo'd engines run hotter
( but at equivalent temps turbo'd aircraft engines run, I say this
because I consider the temps to be normal) (and if yours is
consistently overheating, there is something wrong somewhere) and will
last a shorter life span. Also use the best synthetic oil. Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone