<VV> wheel stud coating

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 24 12:28:50 EDT 2012

I always use never-seize, grease, something to lube wheel studs, as I also
live in the east with Bryan and Harry. And I would like to remove the
wheels again.... My mechanic friend in Richmond does the same.

I had a letter to the editor lively discussion with Skinned Kuckles
magazine a few years ago. The mostly western readers never use anything,
dry only. They just have no clue about life in the east. Oh G*d the wheels
will fall off if you lube them!!!

Some of the trade magazines (like Undercar Digest) have pictures articles
to show operations on newer cars that most shops work on. It is nice to see
they lube EVERYTHING! Inside rotor hats, slides, etc. Most of the pictures
are taken on vehicles that seem to live in the salt areas.

I do hand tighten (and sometimes use a torque wrench ggg) lug nuts. I did
use a set of torque sticks/air wrench in a shop environment, but DID use a
torque wrench for final test. Nothing worse than warping little rotors on
small cars (Honds esp.).

I also had a rule that NO ONE put a hub cap or other lug nut cover on a car
unless THEY themselves, tightened the lugs just prior to putting on the cap.

Of course, I was the one who left the lugs loose on a customer's custom
wheel without any lug caps.... What's that noise (test drive)... Oh
&*#%.....$600 error....

Frank DuVal