<VV> steering question update

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Wed May 30 22:25:08 EDT 2012

Thanks for your input.  My first thought was funky tire pressure.  I always run at 28 front and 38 back.  It handled very well prior to me letting my step-daughter use it the last couple of weeks.  I replaced the idler arm bushing awhile back.  It's been thoroughly maintained since i've owned it.  The steering box was pumped full of Amsoils' synthetic grease right after I got the car.  45,000 miles.  It now has 76,000 on it.

   Yes, when first starting out it is hard to steer.  Just like if both front tires were very low on air.  Then, as you increase speed it gets a little easier to steer but not a whole lot more.  I haven't had a chance to check anything yet and i'm inquiring about what direction to go.  This appears to be a "happened all of a once " kind of thing.  Come to think of it, my wife asked me a few days after my step-daughter took the car, "What that noise was when you turned the corner"?  Today, when I drove it, I heard no noise.  They have all gone to the airport this evening so no more info can be had until they return.

   Also, this car was a true 45,000 mile original  when I got it that sat from 1981 until 2010.  Until now, there have been no issues.  However, rotten suspension bushings and such can't be ruled out.  Also, I need some advice on how to check the suspension for worn parts as i've not had much experience in that area.

Thanks again for any input.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'65 monza 4dr 110/pg

'63 ragtop 84/pg