<VV> A/C Production/AC heads/gaskets

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Thu May 31 00:26:20 EDT 2012

I believe the "thick" cylinder base gaskets actually were copper - or at
least they looked like it.  About .020 or more thick I believe (from
memory), about 2x the stock base gaskets.  I thought they were only used
with 140PG engines - was not aware that any other configuration used them.
The engine currently in my '64 has 2 steel and 1 copper sandwiched under
each cylinder to lower the compression enough.  It has stock '68 AIR domed
pistons with '65 140 heads, so it was the most reasonable (cheap) way to get
the compression down to something reasonable. The engine runs great, but the
rocker geometry is indeed off a bit and I remember it being a pain to get
the shrouds to fit right :-)  It was what I had laying around at the time..

Dave